Sunday, September 26, 2004

Renting DVDs Online

Last night I came across this site Hollywoodclicks from a text ad from some search I did with Google.

Hollywoodclicks is an online DVD rental store in Singapore. For S$35 a month, members rent as many DVDs as they want, and keep them as long as they want, with three movies out at a time. There are no due dates, no late fees and no shipping fees. DVDs are delivered for free by SingPost usually by next-day service. When you want to return the DVD, you just put them in a prepaid envelope and then just mail them back. It is that simple. This concept is not new, as I believe Netflix in USA was the first to offer it. At that time, I told myself it was only a matter of time before someone come up with the same system in Singapore.

Anyway, I signed up. They are having a 14 day free trial, where I get to try out this service for free. I went through the catalog, and it seems pretty big, with the usual blockbusters, classic movies, concerts, musicals, even TV series like X-Files, Friends etc. Since they do not deliver on weekends, I guess I will have to wait till Tuesday at least to receive my DVDs from my mailbox. If I find it good and worthwhile, I might just cancel my SCV subscriptions for that 3 English movie channels and rent DVDs online instead.

There is 1 more online DVD rental store, at MovieMaster. They do have some variations to the subscription plan, offering plans for 1disc, 2 discs, 3 discs and 4 discs plans. It seems like Hollywoodclicks took a majority stake in MovieMaster recently, so I guess the 2 stores sort of merged.

I will update again when I receive my 1st DVD through the mailbox.