Friday, July 29, 2005

Singapore Chinese

I came across an article in the ST today that mentions something about Singapore Chinese not feeling Chinese.

I have always look upon myself as a Singapore chinese. The only ties that I have with China is my race. I was born in Singapore, raised in Singapore. My family is in Singapore, my friends is in Singapore. I have absolutely no ties with China. So why should I be actually trying to relate to China?

Everytime I travel out of Singapore, I have always corrected foreigners who always assumed that just because I am Chinese, I am from China. I have always firmly inform them that I am a Singapore Chinese, and not a China Chinese, and no, Singapore is not some province in China.

For all her imperfections, her funny Gahmen policies, Singapore is MY home. I served 2 1/2 years of my life and then 13 years after that protecting her. If Singapore is NOT my home, then where is? Even if I migrate over to Australia next time, I will always view Singapore as my home, and that I am a Singapore Chinese. I will always go back to Singapore from Australia and not go to Singapore from Australia.

I see nothing wrong with myself not relating to China, nor am I going to try to associate myself with China.