Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The Power of Words

Just got off my sorry ass to update my resume. The failure rate of my jobs applications with the current resume was almost 100%, and had decided long ago to update my resume. Besides, since the last update, I have done more things in my present job, got a promotion, gained more experience and done work for more clients.

Anyway, after trying to dress up my resume, I sort of got the hang of things. Using certain words in place of some words, though they mean the same thing, the look after seems different. For example, I added the words 'local and regional' in front of 'clients' to show I worked in projects that were not just restricted to local clients, even though previously I just dump 'local and regional clients' as just 'clients'. My friend suggested using the word 'operationalise' somewhere, which I did. It basically means 'to define concepts and ideas, and then put it into operation so it can be measured and expressed quantitatively', something that I do everyday, designing solutions to fit clients' requirements and then proceed to develop it. Such is the power of words.

Now hope my success rate with my resume begins to pick up.