Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Health, Amongst Other Things

I was feeling breathless and some pain in the chest on Monday night. Deciding that it warranted some attention, I took yesterday to see a doctor downstairs.

After a thorough examination, the doctor told me I had high blood pressure. A normal person's blood pressure should be between 80/120. Mine was 110/170. 140 is high. 170 is VERY high. The doctor did a ECG on me, which basically checks if my heart has any problems. Luckily, it was just enlarged, a common thing for those with high blood pressure. As the doctor explains to me what are the causes and what are the remedies, I suddenly realised that I still have not done a lot of things in my life. I was too young to die. I have not yet seen so many parts of the world!

Anyway, I was quite determined to reduce my blood pressure. I was watching my diet today, and intend to do so for the rest of my life. No more excessive red meat, buffets, soft drinks, sweets. Coffee will be limited to 2 cups a day. Soft drinks, the less the better. Less red meat, none if possible. More vegetables. And regular exercise.

I guess we all take our health for granted until something like this happen to us. That is when we all wake up that we are not immortal. I think I am lucky enough to realise it before it was too late, and therefore I will do something about it.